WoW, such a beautiful place, very steep hill, lovely views can’t recommend this place enough. Glad of the lift back up.
Clovelly is a picturesque, historic, fishing village, steeped in maritime atmosphere and history, and was once owned by the Queen of England. This atmosphere is embodied in a traffic-free, cobbled street with flower-strewn cottages, tumbling down a cleft in the 400-foot cliff to the ancient fishing harbour and 14th-century quay bringing glorious views along the way. Just donkeys and sledges move needed supplies to the village.
Once a bustling fishing port, Clovelly was renowned for its herring and mackerel and today for lobster and crab. Although fishing has declined, it is still very much a part of village life. Sustainability is the key watchword.
There are many literary connections; Charles Kingsley lived here, Charles Dickens wrote about it and Rex Whistler featured it in much of his work.
It promises visitors a wonderful half day out, full of memories and staying a night or two is a very good thing to do.
The modest admission charges include parking, a must-see film show of the history of the village, access to craft workshops for silk and pottery, Charles Kingsley and Fisherman’s Cottage museums, seeing the famous donkeys, two welcoming inns, Clovelly Court Gardens at the top of the village and a contribution to the preservation of this very special private estate.
Visit any of the annual festivals such as “Seaweed” June, “Maritime” July, “Lobster and Crab” September and “Herring” November and there is no extra charge.
Watch Clovelly’s main video:
- Lentsherd, Shrove Tuesday Tue 05 Mar
- Find the Easter Chicks Mon 08 Apr
- Seaweed Festival, in aid of the North Devon Hospice Sun 26 May
- Charles Kingsley’s Bicentenary Wed 12 Jun
- Clovelly Gig Regatta Sat 27 Jul
- Woolsery Agricultural Show, Clovelly Court parkland Mon 29 Jul
- Clovelly Maritime & Lifeboat Weekend, in aid of the R.N.L.I. Sat 03 Aug
- Clovelly Lobster and Crab Feast, in aid of The National Lobster Hatchery Sun 01 Sep
- Clovelly Apple Day Wed 23 Oct
- Clovelly Herring Festival Sun 17 Nov
- Clovelly Christmas Lights in aid of the R.N.L.I. Sun 01 Dec
- Clovelly Boxing Day Barbeque Thu 26 Dec
- New Years Eve Fancy Dress Party Tue 31 Dec