WoW, such a beautiful place, very steep hill, lovely views can’t recommend this place enough. Glad of the lift back up.
Clovelly Village Devon is a picturesque, historic, fishing village, steeped in maritime atmosphere and history, and was once owned by the Queen of England. This atmosphere is embodied in a traffic-free, cobbled street with flower-strewn cottages, tumbling down a cleft in the 400-foot cliff to the ancient fishing harbour and 14th-century quay bringing glorious views along the way. Just donkeys and sledges move needed supplies to the village.
Once a bustling fishing port, Clovelly was renowned for its herring and mackerel and today for lobster and crab. Although fishing has declined, it is still very much a part of village life. Sustainability is the key watchword.
There are many literary connections; Charles Kingsley lived here, Charles Dickens wrote about it and Rex Whistler featured it in much of his work.
It promises visitors a wonderful half day out, full of memories and staying a night or two is a very good thing to do.
The modest admission charges include parking, a must-see film show of the history of the village, access to craft workshops for silk and pottery, Charles Kingsley and Fisherman’s Cottage museums, seeing the famous donkeys, two welcoming inns, Clovelly Court Gardens at the top of the village and a contribution to the preservation of this very special private estate.
Visit any of the annual festivals such as “Seaweed” June, “Maritime” July, “Lobster and Crab” September and “Herring” November and there is no extra charge.
Watch Clovelly’s main video:
- Lentsherd, Shrove Tuesday 25th Feb
- Charity Dinner, 4th Apr
- Find the Easter Chicks 30th Mar - 13th Apr
- Seaweed Festival, in aid of the North Devon Hospice 24th May
- 150th Anniversary of the Lifeboat Station, Saturday 20 June 2020 20th Jun
- Clovelly Maritime in aid of Bideford & District Sea Cadets 25th Jul
- Woolsery Agricultural Show, Clovelly Court parkland 27th Jul
- Lifeboat Weekend, Sat. 1 to Sun. 2 August 2020 in aid of the RNLI 1st - 2nd Aug
- Clovelly Gig Regatta 29th Aug
- Clovelly Lobster and Crab Feast, in aid of The National Lobster Hatchery 6th Sep
- Clovelly Apple Day 28th Oct
- Clovelly Herring Festival 15th Nov
- Clovelly Christmas Lights in aid of the R.N.L.I. 6th Dec
- Clovelly Boxing Day Barbeque 26th Dec
- New Years Eve Fancy Dress Party 31st Dec