Dartmouth Steam Railway steam trains travel 7 miles along the most spectacular South Devon coast down into the Dart Valley,…Explore
If you’re someone who enjoys history and heritage days out in Devon then we’ve got lots to engage and enthral. Devon’s distinct identity has evolved from a history going back many millennia, plus a rich traditional culture which still lives and breathes through the sites and scenery found throughout the county today.
You can discover this rich history by exploring museums, historic houses, castles, caves and even mines – just read on to find out more.
History and heritage days out in Devon
Check out some of these fascinating buildings, locations and attractions …
- Morwellham Quay, a Victorian village set around a copper mine, that comes to life with hands-on activities and interactive talks by costumed guides – see our blog
- Exeter Cathedral, which dates from the early 12th century. See what remains of the Norman Cathedral, enjoy the beautiful Gothic building as it stands today, and marvel at this wonderful resource of art, craft, symbolism and architectural detail that is a jewel in the heritage crown of Devon
- Torre Abbey, a museum of history and art housed in an Ancient Scheduled Monument established in 1196, with beautiful and award winning gardens
- Killerton, a fine 18th-century house and great estate with a glorious landscape garden surrounded by parkland
- Buckland Abbey, which has gone from peaceful Cistercian Abbey, through dissolution and restoration, to the fascinating house it is today
- Canonteign Falls, where 90 original Victorian steps lead up through a Victorian fern garden to the top of the falls itself, where you’ll find breathtaking panoramic views
Please scroll down for many more!